How to use Prolink H5001N modem+router for PLDT DSL

If you want to skip to the setup part, scroll to the 5th paragraph below.
===============

We're using PLDT DSL (wired) connection at home and the modem that came from PLDT (Alcatel ADSL Home Plus Plus 500 since 2006!) was nearing its dying days, with a faulty power button that needed to be secured with wires to keep the modem on.

I used an Asus RT-N16 router for the wifi network before but eventually sold it when I couldn't set it up (don't know much about Linux) to download torrents automatically via Tomato firmware, so I eventually sold it and decided to look for a combination of a modem & a router.

During the downtime, I was able to use a Tenda W311u wireless usb adapter (attached to the main desktop pc) and a program called Connectify to setup a wireless network.  The connection wasn't stable though, or at least I think it is.  My phone couldn't always "see" the network and if it did, the connection didn't last for a long time.

A few days ago, I was finally able to get hold of a Prolink H5001N modem+router from another TPC member.  Spent another few days trying to set it up to work with our PLDT DSL, piecing together tidbits of info from online fora (there aren't much).  I'm sharing the all the info I found useful in this post since I managed to set it up successfully this afternoon.
=======

Cable Set Up:  Assuming you've connected the corresponding cables to the modem & your computer, this should be a breeze.

To access the Prolink H5001N's admin page, type 192.168.1.1/globe or 192.168.254.254/globe in your browser's address bar then input the following information in the pop up box that appears.  
[Note: if you type in the default user/password of user/user, you won't get the WAN setup page.]
Username: Admin
Password: 3UJUh2VemEfUtesEchEC2d2e


1.        Click Advanced.  Choose WAN Setup then on the left column choose WAN Settings.



1.       Change the following settings
VPI = 0                  VCI = 100             Encapsulation = LLC         Enable NAPT
Protocol 1483MER

Make sure to save these settings then reboot the modem.

Change your wifi password so only your devices can access the router’s wifi.

=========

Also make sure your computer is set up to obtain the IP and DNS addresses automatically.

Right click on Local Area Connection icon (far right icon that looks like 2 connected computers) then select Status.  Click on Properties

Scroll down the menu “This connection uses the following items”  until you find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).  Highlight it then click Properties.





Choose "Obtain IP address and DNS address automatically" then click OK.




-----------
That's it. Hope I didn't forget anything else.  Please don't ask me how to configure another modem/router or how to port forward or some other techy stuff since I don't have experience with other models.



Comments

  1. It. Didnt work on me. My globe router is H5001N modem+router. I want to use it for PlDT. I followed the instruction above.. what could be missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. where can i get this prolink modem and how much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the old model PLDT gave to their DSL subscribers years ago. Occasionally, used ones are sold online but I do not recommend it due to intermittent wifi/network connection issues. Best to look for a TPLink/Netgear/ADlink/Asus modem-router.

      Delete
  3. What would be it's default admin page after I've done all? Everything is successful, but I can't open the admin page anymore, using 192.168.1.1/globe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I already forgot it na. Try checking the new ip of the modem after configuring it.

      Try asking in this thread maybe they can help you. Sorry if this isn't much help.

      https://tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=51039

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Apply for an Import Permit or Clearance from the Optical Media Board (OMB) [2023 update]

How to Authenticate PRC Certificate of Registration , Itemized Board Rating, and apply for Certificate of Good Standing

Jollibee Birthday Party (Hello Kitty theme package) 2020